|Silverlight Resource Center|
Welcome to the Silverlight Resource Center. Silverlight (formerly known as WPF/E—Windows Presenation Foundation/Everywhere), a competitor to Adobe Flash and Flex, is a cross-browser and cross-platform plug-in that allows you to deliver .NET–based RIAs (Rich Internet Applications)—including audio, video and animations—over the Web. The editorial reviews of Silverlight are strong, noting Silverlight's ease of use, high-qulaity video, platform independence and more. Start your search here for Silverlight resources, including really cool demos and sample applications, articles, tutorials, downloads, sample code, training courses, forums, FAQs, books, eBooks, sample chapters, and more. In the Silverlight Resource Center you’ll find links to:
- The article, “Why Silverlight is Important,” by Michael Arrington.
- The article, “Silverlight: The Web Just Got Richer,” by Nik Cubrilovic.
- Thirty-two Silverlight videos from the MIX 2007 conference including “Building Silverlight Applications Using .NET,” “Deep Dive on Silverlight Media Integration,” “Developing ASP.NET AJAX Controls with Silverlight,” “Just Glue IT! Ruby and the DLR in Silverlight,” and more.
- The podcast, “Interview with Project Manager for Microsoft Silverlight,” with Michael Arrington (interviewing Brian Goldfarb, project manager for Silverlight).
- The eBook, "Getting Started with Silverlight," by Shawn Wildemuth.
- The Microsoft Silverlight website.
- A 23-minute video that provides an overview of creating an application using Silverlight; downloading the runtime (for both Windows and Mac), the developer tools, the designer tools, software development using Silverlight and the Silverlight documentation.
- The Microsoft® Silverlight™ 1.1 Developer Reference chart—a graphical representation of Silverlight’s application platform, tools, services, framework languages, platforms, presentation framework, presentation core, common language runtime, base classes, communications framework, and data framework.
- A list of reasons why Silverlight is an efficient media solution.
- The Microsoft Silverlight Developer Center where you'll find Silverlight downloads and numerous sample applications including the Sprawl Game, Silverlight Piano, Silverlight Clock, Chess, Photo Viewer and more.
- Three applications of Silverlight written in C# by Lutz Roeder (a member of the Microsoft Expressions Blend team), including a Boulderdash game, an MP3 player user interface, and a scripted sound and graphics demo.
- The demo and source code of the “Silverlight Airlines” application, developed by David Anson with Ted Glaza.
- The “Silverlight Buttons and Pushbutton Discussion,” from WynApse.com.
- The tutorial, “Silverlight ‘WPF/E’ First Steps: Getting Started with Simple Analog Clock,” by Muhammad Mosa.
- Tim Sneath’s top 10 reasons for using Silverlight.
- A podcast of an interview with Brian Goldfarb, the Microsoft Silverlight Project Manager.
- The eBook, “Getting Started with Silverlight,” by Shawn Wildemuth.
- A video of Scott Gutherie's presentation at the MIX 2007 conference that demonstrates Silverlight’s ease of use.
- Silverlight newsletters, FAQs, training courses, sample chapters, community sites, RSS feeds and books.
- And more …