We wish to thank our many readers who took the time to email us with errata. If you find errata not listed on this page, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to include the book title and edition.
The following errata is for the first printing. Corrections will be made for the second printing.
Note: You can determine which printing you have by looking at the bottom of the back of the second physical page in the book (page iv, but it has no page number). Just above the ISBN number is a list of numbers. For the first printing of the book, the list appears as follows:
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
The last number in the list is the printing number. So the above list indicates printing 1 and the following list indicates printing 2:
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
- p.XLVIII Lab Exercises section, last bullet: "consists of a blocks" should be "consists of blocks"
- p.LVI Robert Fulkerson (University of Nebraska at Omaha) and Terry Hull (Sun Certified Java Architect, Rational Qualified Practitioner) were inadvertently excluded from the list of reviewers (sorry Robert and Terry!)
- p. 102, beneath Fig. 2.15, The postincrement and postdecrement operators associate from left to right, not right to left. The preincrement and predecrement operators associate from right to left, not left to right. The cast operator has a left to right associativity, not right to left.
- p.105 Fig. 2.18, "separator" was spelled incorrectly as "seperator"
- p.111 Fig. 2.21, line 7 is unnecessary
- p.111 Footnote, third line: pow should be pow
- p.178 Paragraph below Fig. 3.4: Add 2 to all code line number references in this paragraph.
- p.205 Fig. 3.16 caption: "method" should be "function"
- p.269 Fig. 4.12, line 11: Replace comma (,) with semicolon (;)
- p.436 4th Paragraph: Both instances of data should be changed to objectID.
- p.594: Variable i in line 100 should be declared before the loop so that it is available at line 108.
- p. 601: exercises 8.12 and 8.13 should be one exercise. All subsequent exercises should be numbered one less.
- p.684-685: Lines 10 and 17: Precede getArea and getVolume with Shape::.
a and b: true
a or b: true
not a: false
a not_eq b: true
a bitand b: 2
a bit_or b: 3
a xor b: 1
compl a: -3
a and_eq b: 2
a or_eq b: 3
a xor_eq b: 0